Pregnant? Need help? Feel free to contact Hoos for Life, or the Pregnancy Centers of Central Virginia (for more information, click here). They have 2 centers located in Charlottesville:
Downtown Charlottesville Center (hours found here):
320 West Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902
(Next to the Greyhound Bus Station)
Text: (434) 218-2013
Call: (434) 979-8888
Albemarle Center (hours found here):
1420 Greenbrier Place
Charlottesville, VA 22901
(Between Albemarle High School and Route 29)
Text: (434) 218-3738
Call: (434) 220-3777
Looking for support and healing after an abortion? Contact Project Rachel (website found here).
Quick Guide to Answering Pro-Choice Arguments
Have you ever been faced with these questions from pro-abortion articles or speakers? Maybe you want to educate yourself further in the arguments for life. Check out the points below…
A. Because men don’t get pregnant, only women should decide the issue.
1. This argument is nothing more than an ad hominem attack against any male opposed to abortion.
2. “Arguments don’t have genders, people do,” writes Francis Beckwith. Since many pro-life women use the same arguments offered by pro-life men, it behooves the abortion advocate to answer these arguments without fallaciously attacking a person’s gender.
3. Furthermore, to be consistent with his own reasoning, the abortion advocate would have to admit that Roe v. Wade was an unjust decision–after all, it was decided by nine men. He must also be willing to dismiss all of the male lawyers currently working for Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, etc. on abortion related issues.
4. Lesbians and post-menopausal women don’t generally get pregnant; should they be forbidden to discuss the issue?
5. Finally, imagine the subsequent rules we could derive from this argument:
• “Since only military personnel know what it is to fight in battle, only they should discuss the morality of war.”
• “Since female sportscasters have no clue what it is like to be kicked in the groin while playing football, only men sports-casters should broadcast the Super Bowl.”
• “Since only black people were subject to slavery, no one else has a right to condemn it.”
• “Only Jewish people have a right to condemn the Holocaust.”
Cunningham, Gregg, Center for Bioethical Reform and Scott Klusendorf, Life Training Institute. “Answering Pro-abortion Rhetoric”. Priests for Life, Accessed on 19 July 2014, http://www.priestsforlife.org/speakersmanual/ch5answeringproabort.htm#attacks.
B. The fetus is a part of the pregnant woman’s body, like her tonsils or appendix.
1. A body part is defined by the common genetic code it shares with the rest of its body; the unborn’s genetic code differs from his mother’s.
2. The unborn child takes an active role in his own development.
3. Being inside something is not necessarily the same as being part of something.
4. Human beings should not be discriminated against because of their place of residence.
Alcorn, Randy. “ProLife answers to ProChoice Arguments”. Coalition for Life, Accessed on 19 July 2014, www.coalitionforlife.com.
C. What if the woman is raped?
1. Am I a child of rape? If I were, does that mean at one point I didn’t deserve to live?
2. Rape is the fault of the father; why must the child pay for his crime?
3. Do we allow the mother to kill the guilty party? No. Why should we allow her to destroy an innocent party?
Arizona Right to Life, Inc. “Quick Responses to Common Pro-Choice Arguments”. Arizona Right to Life, Accessed on 19 July 2014, http://www.azrtl.org/factsheets/Defending%20-%20Quick_Responses.pdf.
Some other great pro-life resources:
Students for Life of America – website found here.
Charlottesville 40 Days for Life – website found here.
Life Training Institute – website found here.
Created Equal – website found here.
Live Action – website found here.
And Then There Were None – website found here.
Susan B. Anthony List – website found here.